Internet availability is a boon and bane at the same time. We all know how internet is useful in many different ways. From school studies to national security everything has something to do with internet. One cannot deny that internet has proved itself to be a blessing for almost everyone. But as we all know, a coin has two sides. If one side of this coin is showing all the benefits of internet, the other side is showing the dark and unsafe side of it.
Internet is not as safe as it looks. Hacking, phishing scams, online fraud and other harms are increasing every then and now because of the internet. No one can deny the the fact that internet security needs to be raised so that you won’t become the next victim of any cyber attack. How to be safe is the matter of everyone’s concern and here are some tips for you all to keep yourself safe from the dark side of internet.
Tips for increasing internet security
- Safe browsing : There is no harm in admitting that sometimes people get tempted bu dubious content. The minute they let their guard down for searching about they can fall into the trap of hackers. Hackers are smart enough to use such dubious content as a bait and lure the users. You are one click away from losing important information to cyber attackers or getting your system infected. So here’s a tip, try practising safe browsing. Stay away from such content and save yourself from the harms.
- Using a secure VPN connection: Whenever you use public Wi-Fi, it is obvious that your device is not secure. Hackers can easily access into your devices and steal your credentials. You can save yourself from such cyber attacks by securing your device and try not to give your personal information while using unsecured Wi-Fi connection. You can use a secure VPN connection for safe internet browsing. It will build a secure connection between your device and the internet so that no one can have access to your data that you are exchanging.
- Keeping your personal information to yourself: Not everyone (potential customers or employers) need to know about your personal details like your home address, relationship status etc. Some information like your contact info and professional background can be shared. But always remember, do no, I repeat, do not share your personal information with strangers and on any social media website.
- Maintaining your privacy settings: You can and you should take charge of your information. Don’t let hackers steal it away from you. There are privacy settings available on your social media accounts and it is because of a reason – enhancing privacy. Marketers are usually interested in your personal information but so are the hackers. Sometimes you can’t find these settings because of marketers want to have your personal information and use it for marketing value. Enable your privacy setting and keep it that way for a secure internet experience.
- Have a look on your downloads : The main aim of hackers is to make you download malware into your system. For hackers, infecting your system is a way to your PC. Malware can go undetected into your system by disguising themselves like any application, anything from a game to check the data traffic or even the weather. So here’s one good advice, don’t download anything from unknown and unreliable sites and make sure the apps you are downloading don’t look suspicious.
- Whatever you post, post it carefully : If you post anything, don’t find it appropriate and delete it, does that mean your post is gone forever? Unfortunately the answer is no. People can make ‘n’ number of copies of any post they want and our post can’t be deleted completely even after deleting the original one. All of us have posted or still post embarrassing pictures/videos, make mean or funny remarks about anything and other things too. But is it really necessary to literally put each and everything about yourself on the internet? Even after knowing the risks of cyberattacks people post and share important information even with strangers. The only way to keep yourself safe in this situation is, DON’T POST EVERYTHING ON YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS!
- Pick strong passwords : It is a very common thing that people use same passwords for different social media accounts. You know what that means? Apart from showing that we are a lazy species of homo sapiens, we are pretty much risking our PC security. Hackers can break into all of your accounts because of the same passwords and steal all the important information, hack your system, infect it and even send malware to your contacts. So the smart decision is to create strong and unique passwords for your each and every account. Make sure that your password is at least 12 characters long with alphabets from both upper and lower case, special characters and numbers.