It is usually said that viruses and malware have taken over your computer but what does the term “malware” means here? This article will discuss the meaning of malware and in addition to that it will also talk about the types of malware and harms caused by it.
Malware, the term mentioned above can be defined as a software that is designed intentionally for damaging a server, computer network, computer or even a client. It contains many types of malicious software variants such as ransomware, viruses and spyware. In order to gain unauthorized access to a network or to cause large damage to systems and data, cyber attackers have developed codes, I.e. malware. Typically this malware are delivered in the form of links or file over mail. In order to execute the malware, one has to click the link or open the file. there are many software available to clean your PC which helps to optimize your system performance.
Types of Malware
Moving further we can see there are different types of malware that are mentioned below.
- Bots: It is seen that bots are usually used for harmless purposes like online contests, video gaming, internet auctions, etc. But it is also seen that bots are now being used for malicious purposes as well. They are software programs that are designed to perform specific functions on their own. A collection of computers used and controlled by third parties, usually knows as Botnets are used for some malicious purposes. Botnets are used as spambots for rendering advertisements on websites, for DoDS attacks, for distributing malware (that are disguised as popular search items on popular websites) and even as web spiders for scraping server data.
- Rookit: In order to remotely control or access a computer without being detected by the security programs or users, malicious software, Rookit is designed. Identifying Rookit can be difficult as it hides its presence, and the typical security products are not efficient enough to detect and remove them. If you want to identify a Rookit then it mostly depends on manual methods like signature scanning storage dump analysis and monitoring computer behavior for irregular activities. Rookit can not be identified easily (as mentioned above) and once they enter the computer system the cyber attackers can easily access or control your files, steal the information, alter software, modify the system configurations, control your computer as part of a botnet and even install concealed malware.
- Bug: A bug, here is defined as a flaw producing undesired results. They are formed usually because of human error and exist in the compilers or source code of a program. There can be 2 types of bugs that can harm your systems in different ways. The minor ones will harm your system slightly and can persist for a longer time before being identified. But with the major ones, the effects are different, like causing a crash or freezing. One of the most severe bugs in the Security bugs that can allow cyberattackers to bypass user authentication steal data and even override access privileges.
- Ransomware: As the name suggests, Ransomware is the type of software that holds a system in captivity in exchange for ransom. This malware works in two ways. It either encrypts files on the hard drive or locks down the system and then display messages for forcing the user to pay ransom to the malware creator. The malware creator must be paid so that they remove the restriction and the user regains access to their computer.
- Spyware: Spyware is the type of software that is used for spying on the user activity without their knowledge. It typically includes collecting keystrokes, data harvesting I.e. account information, financial data, login, etc., activity monitoring, and son. Not just this but it has other capabilities as well like modifying security settings of browsers or software, interfering with internet connections, and so on.
- Virus: The type of malware has the capability to copy itself and spread to other computers. When a user launches to one of the infected programs viruses attach themselves to different programs and executing code and hence spread to other computers as well. Not just this but these viruses can spread through documents, script files, and even cross-site scripting vulnerabilities in web apps. They can cause damage to your system by stealing data, create botnets, harm host networks and computers, steal money and even more.
- Worms: One of the most common types of software is a computer worm that exploits operating system vulnerabilities. By overloading web servers and consuming bandwidths worms harm the host networks. Worms also contain payloads(codes written to perform actions on affected computers) that damage host computers. Computer worms are capable of self-replicate and spread independently by sending mass emails with infected attachments to the users.
- Trojan horse: Trojan horse which is also known as Trojan is a kind of malware that can disguise itself as a normal program or file so that it can trick users for downloading and installing malware. It can give the malicious party remote access to the infected computer. Once the malicious party gets access to the infected computer, they can steal the data, modify files, monitor user activity, install malware, anonymize internet activity, etc.
All of above are types of malware. if you want to prevent from malware and want to secure your data you need to go with PC Security. PC Security is important to protect our personal information/data. It also helps to keep our computer security and its total health by avoiding viruses and malware which would badly affect the system performance.