Computer security is and always has been a very concerning topic for us. To match our steps with these always emerging cyber threats we have different solutions and one of them Anti-virus software. Anti-virus installation is suggested as one of the best ways to protect your system from these online threats.
Almost everyone who owns a computer or work with them is aware about computer virus and how fast they can spread. It is really easy for hackers to break into some unprotected system and get access to their sensitive data and information. In order to protect your phone from such malicious virus attacks you can always opt for any anti-virus software.
But in the bigger picture, you should actually know how effective it is. What is anti-virus software? What are the do’s and dont’s of the anti-virus software? Why do I need it? Do I even need it? And is there anything else you need to know about it? If these questions match your queries then this article is surely for you.
Before jumping directly on the do’s and dont’s of anti-virus software you must know what is it.
An anti-virus can be defined as a program or even a set of programs that is designed for preventing, searching detecting as well as removing malicious software viruses and other types of malware like worms, bots, adware and more.
One simple and very common question you must have is, “do I need anti-virus software”? If yes then why? It is important to know why do you really need to have antivirus software installed in your system.
If your computer isn’t protected by anti-virus software then there are high chances of it being attacked by hackers and malware. You need to install it on your computer as well as keep it updated.
Every company have anti-virus software with some distinct but there are some common and essential features you will find in every software. Some of the essential functions of the anti-virus softwares are mentioned here:
- They allow you to schedule scans to automatically run for you.
- You can scan your entire system or a particular file at any time.
- It alerts you if any malicious code is found on your system and removes it.
- It can scan your files and system for any malicious codes or patterns.
Do’s and dont’s of anti-virus softwares:
Now that you are aware of some basic facts of anti-virus software we can further talk about its do’s and dont’s. if you have installed anti-virus on your system or planning to do so then have a look at this list of do’s and dont’s.
- First and foremost point is to have a written policy describing about the responsibilities of management staff how to maintain the anti-virus as well as what do to in case of emergency.
- to have a high level of security against computer virus you must subscribe to a professional and dedicated email-service.
- Updating anti-virus signature and scanning engines regularly is a must thing. Those who can’t do it daily should do it weekly. Although daily would be the best option but if that’s not possible then go for weekly.
- You may not know but viruses can be present undetected on the machines, even though it can’t run e-mails. So you make sure to install anti-virus on every machine.
- Make sure to configure the anti-virus program to scan all the files and not just the executable programs. You can’t expect viruses won’t come if you can only the executable programs. Go for a full scan for better protection.
- If the anti-virus heuristic controls are available then do enable them. A heuristic scan can take more time than usual scans, but the time difference isn’t much of a problem for the user.
- Don’t open attachments from suspicious or unknown emails or allow e-mail programs to auto-open any attachments. It is called as Phishing. Phishing can be defined as a cybercrime that takes place by targeting people through emails, texts, etc.
- Some machines run on WSH (Windows Scripting Host) but not every machine needs it. So don’t allow WSH to run on machines that don’t. Many viruses have been written with Windows Scripting Host. Remove it so that virus can’t operate.
- Don’t enable the Preview Pane in Outlook and Outlook Express because even if you don’t open the message, some viruses can be launched just by just previewing the mails.