Malware attacks, identity thefts, blackmailing and what not? In these past few years we have seen it all and the situation is same in the present as well. Something that has changed is the way hackers are attacking the users. They have advanced their tools and tactics. It is our chance to do the same, build our guard stronger than before.
One of the most preferred and simple method is to install an antivirus. Antivirus keeps your PC safe from all viruses, detects them and removes them. Computer virus are codes having the capability of copying themselves and can affect the computer in many ways like destroying files, corrupting systems, etc. Virus attaches itself to a legit document or program that helps macros in its code execution. You can
Now that we know about virus let’s know things about antivirus too. The main point of this article is to tell you about identifying if your computer is infected and what are the features you should look in a good antivirus?
Is my system infected?
This is one of the most common questions you might have. It is a very important question as virus can infect your computer systems in no time. And to remove the virus you have to identify it first. You can do that by checking the following symptoms:
- You must have received a suspicious or inappropriate emails from a friend which shows their mail has been hacked. It is a common sign of virus. You can tel your PC is infected if you can’t have access to your mails, social media accounts or find posts on social media that you didn’t make.
- A quickly draining battery is a sure sign of virus infected PC. The virus multiplies and uses your computer’s resources to create more activity on your computer which leads to a drained battery.
- Another sign that shows your computer is infected with virus is if it freezes or crashes every then and now.
- If unknown icons are added to your desktop or your system starts to load unknown programs after getting started it means that your system is infected.
- Locked out of your computer? Can’t access to your files and settings? Or can’t log in/out? Shows that your system is infected.
- If your computer is working slow, taking too much time to turn ON files are loading slow too then it is a sign of computer virus.
- Endless pop ups can be a bad sign. Pop ups asking you to download antivirus and then download malware instead. It just multiplies the virus and issues in your PC.
Features of a good antivirus
- It should protect your system from browser exploits. What are those? Browser exploits are website codes written to take advantage of any vulnerability in a web browser. Let’s talk about the technique of clickjacking. It used to steal your click and apply it to somewhere you didn’t intend to.
- Your antivirus should protect you from different types of malware like viruses, trojans, worms, rookit, spyware, etc.
- It should provide email protection that has the ability to scan inbound and outbound emails for infected URLs and attachments to bogus websites.
- It should include a heuristic scanner. This scanner uses what is known about the existing malware and what all it has learned from past experience to identify new threats.
- Download protection is a must thing if you are looking for a good antivirus. There are chances of downloading malware with other files and apps. So your computer must get protection from that.
- If your antivirus has a backup option then it is a really good thing. If your PC ever gets infected and you lose data it will help you to restore it. Antivirus with a backup option is a big yes.
- Speed is one of the most important features of any good antivirus. If it can’t scan your system fast then it’ useless. You should look for antivirus with good speed and different options like quick scan, USB scan and more.
- A good antivirus must be pocket friendly too. It is an important thing when you’re buying an antivirus. Always try to look for maximum features at a good price. You don’t have to buy the most expensive antivirus software for the best protection. Sometimes less is more. It is possible that cheap antivirus software can provide better features than the expensive ones.
- If you don’t know how to use the antivirus software it doesn’t have any worth. You should know how to use it. That’s why you should always look for user-friendly antivirus software. Very simple to use and easy to understand. It should never slow down the speed of your computer system.