Cybercrimes are becoming the new normal. Everyday you wake up to almost a new case of scam, fraud, theft and what not? No, this should not be the new normal! If someones asks me what can we do about it, the answer is, “Educate yourself about cybercrimes as much as you can”. Because by the means of education you can fight back against these crimes and criminals.
One of the most important questions to be raised is, “why there is a hike in the rate of cybercrimes”? the root of the problem will give you the solution. If we work on this principle then it can be a step forward in flattening this crime curve. What kind of cybercrimes are rising and why is the main concern of this article. Let’s begin with the first concern, I.e. the types of cybercrimes rising this year.
Criminal activities targeting or using computers by using a computer network or networked device is termed as a cybercrime. Most of the cybercrimes are committed by the hackers with the intention of stealing money from net users. But some of the cybercrimes are carried by individuals or even organizations.
The main aim of cybercrime is to steal personal information of users, commit crimes and extort money from them. Sometimes the aim can also be other than that like fulfilling any political or personal agenda. A lot of hackers use advanced techniques and are technically skilled. Such crimes are mostly organized.
There are different types of cybercrimes you must have heard about, mentioned here:
- Identity theft : People using internet for cash transactions and banking services are under the target of cyber attackers. Hackers get unauthorized access to your system and steal important information about you like bank account details, credit and debit card numbers etc. And transfer money from your account or buy things online in the victim’s name. By stealing your identity such criminals can cause you financial loss.
- Hacking : Hacking is one of the most common cybercrimes committed by hackers for accessing into the system of their victim and steal their credentials and sensitive information by using a variety f softwares. Government systems are usually targeted by the hackers so that they can gain notoriety.
- Illegal selling on dark web : When hackers steal your information they can sell it to third party on dark web. Besides victim’s information other illegal things like drugs, weapons etc are sold here and the transaction takes place via cryptocurrency. Millions of users around the world are selling and buying illegal stuff on dark web.
- Computer vandalism : In order to disrupt businesses computer vandalism is used where attackers damage computers and their data. Malicious programs are designed for performing harmful tasks like extracting login information, erasing hard drives and more.
Reason behind increased cybercrime:
- Doing their research : Nowadays cybercriminals have become smart as they are doing research about their potential targets. They try to gain as much information as possible about the victim. Publicly available data from social media is a big help for them.
- Cybercrimes can be operated from anywhere : Thanks to the easily accessible internet, cybercrimes can be operated from almost anywhere. To operate without any difficulty criminals are working in countries with limited digital crime laws or only lax enforcement standards. It’s a comfort zone for any criminal to work in a place with lower risk of being caught.
- Art of being patient and persistent : Thinking that all the attackers are impatient when it comes to scamming people is not true in every case. Now that they have grown smarter they have learned the art of being patient and persistent. They know that having patience can be beneficial to them. Data breaches can take weeks to be discovered and that time is used by the attackers to spread malware to maximum users and stealing their data without being caught. Persistent criminals start by gathering information from social media platforms and then use it for extracting important information.
- Evolving scams : Scams are evolving with the scammers at an alarming rate. They know old schemes won’t work on most of the users so they have evolved their techniques. Touch screens have become really popular amongst the present population. Scammers came with the plan to created digitalized dust particles or hair follicles. They appear on your phone/computer/laptop screen, you swipe it and in that moment a malware is installed on your system.
- Targeting maximum people at a time : Because of email facility targeting bulk of people at a time isn’t a big task for scammers. Nowadays everyone is receiving mails with attachments looking from any legitimate organization. All you have to do is click open the attachment and your system is infected. Sending mails is an easy option is cheap and you can send it in bulk at a times